The OnLion

Old Habits Are Back In Style

Dagen Lusis

Strap on your veils, open up your Bibles, and get ready for the funky disco musical, Sister Act, to enlighten Eisenhower this February.

From the school that brought you Aida, Bye Bye Birdie, and Les Miserable, Eisenhower will add to the list of musicals that will have audiences singing in the aisles.

Sister Act is a story about a woman named Deloris Van Cartier who is on the run from a dangerous criminal. Cartier seeks shelter at a convent, and helps bring life to the failing church, while discovering her inner love for music.

Eisenhower’s rendition of Sister Act will be directed and produced by Mary Kirby and Natalie Baertschy, who have been the leaders of Eisenhower musicals for many years.

“We tried to put an emphasis on family when we selected the musicals this year” said Kirby, “but none of this would be possible without the combined efforts of everyone involved.”

With only two weeks left, the cast, crew, and pit are working diligently to create something magical, but this does not come easy. The students involved with the production will spend over 15 hours a week rehearsing, including two “Super Saturdays”.

“It does take a lot of commitment,” said John Kuske, who is part of the ensemble, “but we all have a set goal, and are ready to make something awesome.”

It is evident that there is a lot of dedication and hard work that goes into the musical, but all students agree that there is no better feeling than being on that stage in front of a sold-out crowd.

“Emotions are always high during and after the performances” said Nate Kuenstler, “It’s what we look forward to after the long rehearsals.”

The rehearsals may be extensive, but the students will be performing in front of an audience in just two weeks. Tickets for Sister Act will go on sale Monday Feb. 6, and are available both in-person and online. (http://www.nbexcellence.org/schools/eisenhower/fine-arts/sisteract.cfm)

Performance dates for Sister Act are posted below:

• Friday, February 17th ~ 7:30 pm

• Saturday, February 18th ~ 7:30 pm

• Sunday, February 19th ~ 2:00 pm

• Friday, February 24th ~ 7:30 pm

• Saturday, February 25th ~ 7:30 pm

• Sunday, February 26th ~ 2:00 pm

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Old Habits Are Back In Style”

1. Steve B. on February 27th, 2017 12:11 pm

I attended Eisenhower’s “Sister Act” musical yesterday with my 15 yr old daughter. We both were disappointed that the school would choose to have a play with so much inappropriate language and sexuality. As a Christian, when I heard the main character say, “Jesus-F’ing-Christ”, I just about walked out. In fact, I wish I did at that point. It really made me question the integrity of the school board to allow a play like that to be presented at a High School. In our political correct culture, where it’s taboo for a public school to say “Christmas”, for example, why is it OK to denigrate faith or religion, and poke fun at the Lord’s prayer like this play did? I’m sorry I wasted my money and my time on this trash!

2. Bradley Seebruch on May 1st, 2017 10:36 am

We appreciate your feedback. If it is this is a big problem to you, you may bring it up with the school board.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Arts & Entertainment

Holiday Activities to Enjoy

• Old Habits Are Back In Style

Arts & Entertainment

Prom season: How to rock trends on a budget

• Old Habits Are Back In Style

Arts & Entertainment

Milwaukeeans prepare to celebrate Summerfest’s 50th year

• Old Habits Are Back In Style

Arts & Entertainment

‘25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee’ wraps up theatre season at Eisenhower

• Old Habits Are Back In Style

Arts & Entertainment

Sign of the Times: Harry Styles’ return to music

• Old Habits Are Back In Style

Arts & Entertainment

Hamilton Cast Speaks Out Against V.P. Elect Mike Pence

• Old Habits Are Back In Style

Arts & Entertainment

Boy’s Volleyball Takes the Playoffs

• Old Habits Are Back In Style

Arts & Entertainment

New Rock Band Program Enters The Music Department

• Old Habits Are Back In Style

Arts & Entertainment

Restaurant Review: That’s Amore

• Old Habits Are Back In Style

Arts & Entertainment

Up-and-Coming: Video Games of October

The student news site of New Berlin Eisenhower
Old Habits Are Back In Style