Flextime Frustration

Why the sudden changes to the most beloved hour of the day?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Flextime Frustration

Dagen Lusis, Author

As students welcome themselves back to another year at Eisenhower, many are struck with the surprise of the new attendance system during flex- just another way for administrators to restrict students of their well-deserved freedom. This year, students are required to assign themselves to a classroom during flex, and they must stay there the entire hour. Using their  school ID’s, teachers will receive laser scanners to scan you into their classroom. Administrators have designed this attendance system to prevent students from wandering around the halls, instead of seeking help from their teachers. Many classrooms across Eisenhower are required to equip this new operation, such as the core concepts classrooms, the PLTW hall, the music hall, and the LMC.

Many students here at Ike are frustrated with this new concept, mainly because of the fact that they have to schedule their classes a week in advance. Although this system is organized, it eliminates the possibility of seeing a teacher when the student desperately needs the help. This is especially crucial during testing days, when the students need the flexibility to go from teacher to teacher.

In addition, the new system is challenging for students who have missed a day of school. For these students, they would have to schedule an assortment of classes for the next week, then try to get caught up even though the classes have already moved ahead in their curriculum. Consequently, students might fall behind in their schedule, requiring a long string of emails to teachers, hours of out of class work, and a lot of coffee to push through the night.

During the 2016-17 year at Ike, keep your student ID handy, because its your golden ticket to going where you want to go. Also, administrators will open the Library Media Center to the group of classes as well. They are refraining from opening it so early because they wish to allow students to build good habits with checking in for help. Although this system can be very frustrating, it’ll be interesting to see how the students adjust to it overtime. Have any opinions on flex? Feel free to post them below!